It is illegal for anyone under the age of 17 to drive a car or motorcycle on a public road in Britain. Mopeds of less than 50cc can be driven by anyone over the age of 16. You must wear a crash helmet if you ride any type of motorbike or moped, even if you are a passenger. You should also be aware of the Highway Code, copies of which are available from most newsagents, and remember that cars are driven on the LEFT in Britain.


During your first year in Britain you will need an international driving licence. If you plan on staying longer you will have to take a driving test in this country. Your school will advise you further on the laws regarding motor insurance and licensing.


Usually car hire companies will only supply vehicles to people over the age of twenty-five.


Double yellow lines on the side of the road mean that you may not park there at any time. A single yellow line means that parking is restricted to particular times of the day - the times are signposted nearby.


Don’t forget that in Britain you must wear seatbelts in the car at all times.


Please remember to drive carefully and keep to speed limits. In most towns the speed limit is 30mph/48 kph; on motorways the limit is 70 mph/110 kph. Never drink alcohol and drive - it is extremely dangerous and the penalties are very severe in Britain.

If you are involved in an accident, you must inform the police and exchange names and addresses with the other driver. Insurance for your vehicle is compulsory in Britain.

Last modified: Wednesday, 16 January 2008, 01:17 PM